This white chicken chili is a simple recipe that you can throw together and have comfort food ready in just a short about of time!
It’s my favorite time of year. The air starts to get chilly and a warm soup sounds just right. I knew I had to make and share this recipe with you.Jump to Recipe
I was first introduced to this white chicken chili recipe from my dear friend Bridget from www.bridgeywidgey.com when I was looking for the perfect chili to serve at my son’s pirate themed birthday party. It is hearty, creamy, and honestly one of the best chili’s I have ever tasted.
I did make some adjustments to the original recipe to make it a little more healthy. This did not compromise the taste at all. It is soooo good. If you have a small family like mine I would suggest halving the recipe or simply freezing half of it once it’s made to save for later.
Want to be able to save your chicken chili leftovers for later? Freezing them in individual, single serve containers is a great option. Then you can pull one out for yourself to have for lunch and not have to worry about heating up a whole batch. These 16oz containers are great for doing just that.
With the baby on it’s way I thought this would be a good option for us when I am not quite ready to get into cooking again.
White Chicken Chili
- 4-5 cans navy beans
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 1 stick butter I used extra virgin olive oil for the sauteing instead
- 1/3 C flour
- 3 C chicken broth
- 4 C half and half I used fat free
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin more to taste
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 4 oz can of chilies chopped
- 4-5 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups Colby Jack Cheese
- 1/2 Cup sour cream I didn’t add this and it was still amazing
- You can cook the chicken to your preference by boiling, microwaving, grilling or sauteing. I preferred to saute the meat after defrosting. Chop chicken into 1/2" bite size pieces and set aside in the main pot you'll be using for your chili. Add beans.
- Saute onions in butter or olive oil and set aside.
- In separate heavy pan, melt 4 tablspoons butter and whisk in the flour without browning. Stir in onions and gradually add broth and half and half make sure to whisk constantly so that you don’t have the roux sauce sticking or burning as you add the liquid. Simmer 5 minutes to allow it to thicken and then add it to your chili pot. Stir in seasonings, chilies, cheese and simmer stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. stir in sour cream just before serving.
You can make this ahead and allow it to simmer in a crock pot if you’d like and it heats up and serves a crowd really well!
ENJOY your White Chicken Chili!
Do you love to make homemade soups? You’ve got to check out these other recipes right here on My Mommy Style
- Kahoot! Now Offering DragonBox & Poio Learning Apps and Review - May 25, 2020
- Disneyland Churro Bites Recipe - May 4, 2020
- How to Make Cauliflower Cream Sauce - May 3, 2020
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST!
For weekly tips to live an awesome #momlife! Recipes | Kids Activities | Parenting | Travel | Printables | Lifestyle