A great tasting and fast homemade cream of chicken soup to substitute one 10.75 canned condensed cream of chicken soup.
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
I just want to start out by saying that I have nothing against using a can of cream of chicken soup. In fact, I have some in my pantry as we speak. I’m actually not here to bash the canned stuff I just want to give you a homemade version because I think we can all agree that homemade is always better tasting. Sometimes homemade doesn’t mean very practical or easy though, BUT this recipe really is easy. I promise! It’s just three ingredients and a handful of spices and maybe 10 minutes prep. It’s more like 5 minutes, but I’ll give you some wiggle room. Whether you use this because you are trying to not use processed food or you don’t want to run to the store, I’ve got you covered.
How do you substitute this homemade cream of chicken soup in recipes?
- This recipe makes the equivalent of one 10.75 can of condensed soup. So simply make this recipe and add it to your recipe like you would the canned stuff. This recipe doubles, triples and even quadruples easily so you can make however much you need for your recipe.
Can you freeze cream of chicken soup?
- The answer is kind of up to you. Yes, you can freeze this soup, but it might be a little grainy when you use it. I haven’t noticed that making a huge difference in recipes where it’s mixed in with other things, such as a casserole.
- I like freezing the cream of chicken soup in 8 oz freezer jars. They’re the perfect size. I imagine these Rubbermaid take-along storage containers would work great too.
- Freeze and then thaw in the fridge overnight and use immediately.
Homemade condensed cream of chicken soup
A great homemade substitute for the canned stuff. This recipe equals one 10.75 ounce can of condensed cream of chicken soup.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
In a small bowl whisk together the milk and flour until smooth, set aside.
In a medium saucepan bring the chicken broth, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, salt and pepper to a boil.
While whisking the broth slowly add the combined milk and flour to the saucepan.
Continue stirring for 3-4 minutes until the soup is the desired thickness.
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your cost will be the same, but My Mommy Style will receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!