Are you in a pinch and need a substitute for dry onion soup mix? Skip the store and make this super easy and fast recipe equal to one 1-ounce packet.
Substitute for Dry Onion Soup Mix
Haven’t you noticed there are quite a few simple recipes that call for a packet/envelope of dry onion soup mix? I used to buy the packets from the store, but once I found this easy substitute recipe, I just make it at home now.
Whether you need this substitute for dry onion soup mix for dietary reasons or you are in a pinch, this recipe is here to help. Most, if not all, of the recipe ingredients can be found in your pantry.
This dry onion soup mix flavor is much bolder than the store bought packets and doesn’t have all of those extra additives. The bolder flavor enhances any recipe you decide to make with it.Jump to Recipe
What Can I Use Instead of Dry Onion Soup Mix?
For every packet/envelope a recipe calls for dry onion soup mix, you can combine 1/4 c dry onion flakes, 2 Tablespoons of beef bouillon granules, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon parsley flakes, 1/8 teaspoon celery seeds, and 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper.
Here is the breakdown of the ingredients you will find in a packet of dry onion soup mix minus all of the preservatives:
- 1/4 c. Dried Onion Flakes
- 2 Tbsp. Beef Bouillon Granules (you can crush the beef bouillon cubes if needed)
- 1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Dried Parsley
- 1/8 tsp. Celery Seed
- 1/8 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
How to Use Substitute Dry Onion Soup Mix in Recipes:
It’s so easy. Just mix up all the ingredients and add it in any recipe that calls for a packet/envelope of dry onion soup mix. This recipe is equal to one packet/envelope. Some of the recipes I make calls for 2 packets so I will just double this recipe.
What Recipes Do You Use Onion Soup Mix In?
- I love the convenience of dumping a few ingredients into a crock pot or instant pot to make a meal. There are a ton of recipes that use dry onion soup mix like this super easy 4-ingredient crock pot apricot chicken or my pot roast.
- Add this substitute for dry onion soup mix to hamburgers, roasted potatoes, meatloaf, stroganoff, pork chops, beef stew and chip dip (to name just a few).
- To make this dry onion soup mix into a soup, just add 4 cups of water to this dry onion soup mix and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Works great as a delicious soup base.
How Do I Make Homemade Onion Chip Dip?
Combine this recipe of substitute for dry onion soup mix with 2 cups of sour cream. Store in the refrigerator.
For a lighter version of Onion Chip Dip, combine dry onion soup mix with 1 cup sour cream and 1 cup plain greek yogurt. Store in the refrigerator.
Gluten-Free Dry Onion Soup Mix
For all of my gluten free friends, this recipe is also for you. The store bought envelopes are made with barley which has gluten.
This recipe doesn’t use anything with gluten as long as you use certified gluten free beef bouillon.
Low Sodium Dry Onion Soup Mix
Not only is it gluten free, but if you are needing a lower sodium option you can use this low sodium beef bouillon in this recipe. I have found this in my local grocery store or you can get it on amazon.
The beauty of making your own dips, sauces, and mixes is you control what goes into them so they can fit your specific dietary needs and they really do taste so much better!
Dry Onion Soup Mix Recipe:
Substitute for Dry Onion Soup Mix
- 1/4 cup dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Check Out These Other Recipes we Think You’ll Like:
*Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your cost will be the same, but My Mommy Style will receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!