I have to admit that my family loves the gross jar of nacho cheese goo that you can buy in the chip aisle. It’s gross. I know it, but we still eat it. I love making this cheese sauce for nachos instead because it uses real food. No cheese product in this sauce. No sirree. And it tastes better than the jar of orange goo. On top of that, this sauce is also so easy to make. Some cheese grating and whisking and 15 minutes later you have yourself a smooth and creamy cheese sauce.
Because this recipe uses real cheese as opposed to cheese product it does start to get firm when it cools. Make sure you use it immediately or keep it warm until you use it. I have thrown this in a slow cooker and put it on the warm setting with great results. You’ll just have to give the cheese a good stir before serving.
Homemade Nacho Cheese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese mild and medium also work!
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the flour and briskly whisk until combined.
- Add the milk, salt, and cayenne pepper and continue to whisk until all the lumps are gone.
- Increase the heat to high and continue to whisk until the milk mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add the shredded cheese.
- Whisk until the cheese is completely melted and smooth.
- Serve immediately.
I make everything in my enameled cast iron dutch oven.
This cheese if perfect for a build your own nacho bar!
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your cost will be the same, but My Mommy Style will receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!
You might also like:
Linked up with Tidy Mom.
Hello! I am Camille, a wife, mother of four, Disney obsessed, certified teacher, and reality optimist. Motherhood comes with its ups and downs, and I hope while you’re here you’ll find something that makes your #momlife easier!