Find out what you can do if your kid’s breath smells like poop! We have a list of the potential causes of the smell and how you can fix it.
My Breath Smells Like Poop
Yeah, pretty gross title, right!? There are multiple reasons your kids can be stinky, but what do you do if your kid’s breath smells like poop?
Some common reasons for having stinky breath that smells like poop are:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Bacterial or viral infections
- Nasal cavity issues
Importance of Oral Hygiene
I asked my dental hygienist what can make my kid’s breath smell like poop? She told me it can be plaque that is not being brushed away, having a dirty tongue, or tooth decay.
Here’s her oral hygiene tips:
- Check your child’s teeth to see if you see any white scuzzy looking stuff (plaque) or if your kids have puffy gums (gingivitis). If that is present, he/she is most likely not brushing long enough or missing spots when he/she brushes. Here’s a post on how to brush your teeth the right way.
- Check their tongues to see if it has a white/brown layer. Tongues can hoard a bunch of bacteria that can be stinky. Brush their tongue or you can even purchase a tongue scraper.
- Get regular 6 month checkups with your dentist to diagnose decay.
- No matter the age, it never hurts to check their brushing/flossing routines.
Check out our post on 5 things you can do right now to improve your oral health.
Did you know acid reflux can make anyone’s breath smell like poop? With acid reflux (aka GERD) the acid from your stomach is flowing backward into the esophagus then the mouth.
You may not know if your child has stomach issues or acid reflux, but it’s definitely something to consider if their breath smells like poop.
Schedule an appointment with your doctor so they can run some tests. Getting the reflux under control will help the poop smell go away.
Bacterial or Viral Infection
Did you know having poop smelling breath could be a sinus or respiratory infection? Infections like bronchitis, viral colds and strep throat may all be causes for poop breath.
If you are sick and have a bad sore throat, see your Doctor to be diagnosed and once the infection clears up, the smell will go away.
Nasal Cavity Issues
If you can rule out the other reasons you may be asking, “buy why does my breath smell like poop?”
My cousin’s son had some awful poop breath and she couldn’t figure out why. She took him to her Pediatrician for a check up and wouldn’t you know he found a cotton ball lodged up her son’s nostril!
The doctor was able to pull out that slimy poop smelling cotton ball and that cleared up the smell. Kids teach us something everyday!!!
If you’re looking for ways to keep your kid’s noses clear, here are some products to try out:
*Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your cost will be the same, but My Mommy Style will receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!
Check out some of our other posts you’ll like:
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST!
For weekly tips to live an awesome #momlife! Recipes | Kids Activities | Parenting | Travel | Printables | Lifestyle