Good morning MMS friends. Today I am posting my very first EVER vlog!! Yikes! I actually did two on the same day, so you’ll be seeing my next vlog next Wednesday the 26th over at Fry Sauce and Grits (which is just a fantastic new blog by two beautiful sisters you should definitely check out!)
Just as a recap of the vid, when doing your own gel nails from home, you’ll need:
UV light or an LED9G light (LED is MUCH faster)
Soak off gel polish: Base coat, Top Coat and color of choice
*ph bond nail prep (not an absolute necessity, but useful in drying out nails to help gel adhere)
and the usual nail prep tools: nail file, trimmer, something to push back cuticles etc.
**If you are using the structure gel, then you’ll also need that and a brush to paint it on
**IF YOU DO NOT want to do the STRUCTURE GEL, skip steps 9-10
- Sanitize hands
- Gently push back cuticles from nail bed
- Shape and smooth the edge of your nails
- Gently buff the entire nail surface to remove the shine
- Remove the nail dust and clean the entire nail with a cotton ball and acetone
- Apply a very sparing amount of the ph bond
- Apply your GEL BASE COAT; keep the coat THIN and seal/cap the outer edge. Be sure to check cuticles and remove any base gel that may have contacted the skin before placing hands under light.
- Place in UV LIGHT for 30 seconds-1 min. *If using the LED 9G LIGHT then 10 seconds
- **Apply THIN coat of STRUCTURE GEL; start at center with brush parallel to nail and work your way out, be sure to seal/cap the free edge. Again, check all the cuticle area to make sure the gel did not come into contact with it, and remove any that did with your orange stick. PUT THE LID BACK ON your STRUCTURE GEL and cleanse your brush with alcohol and a cotton ball
- Place in UV LIGHT for 3 minutes *LED for 30 seconds (*repeat steps 9 and 10 for added strength)
- Apply THIN coat of GEL POLISH, again, start at center and work your way to edges, cap/seal the free edge; clear cuticle area
- Place in UV LIGHT for 2 minutes *LED for 30 seconds
- Repeat steps 11 and 12
- Apply THIN coat of GEL TOP COAT; seal/cap outer edge and check cuticle area
- Place in UV LIGHT for 3 minutes *LED for 30 seconds
- Take a cotton ball and alcohol and wipe off the sticky residue.
- Condition with cuticle oil
- ENJOY beautiful nails for the next 2 weeks!!
And to remove:
- Gently file the surface of the GEL TOP COAT to break the seal and remove shine
- Saturate a cotton wool or cosmetic pad with ACETONE and apply to the top of the nail surface.
- Wrap snugly in foil (I use cut tin foil) and allow to sit for 10 MINUTES
- Securely grip each foil wrap and use a twisting motion to firmly pull the wrap from 1 nail at a time. If a significant amount of product remains rewrap the nail and allow the acetone to penetrate a few more minutes
- Gently slide any residual product from the nail using an orange stick
- If you are NOT reapplying GEL use a BUFFER to lightly smooth the nail surface.
- Condition the nail and surrounding skin with cuticle oil
Please comment if you have any questions!!
Hello! I am Camille, a wife, mother of four, Disney obsessed, certified teacher, and reality optimist. Motherhood comes with its ups and downs, and I hope while you’re here you’ll find something that makes your #momlife easier!