If there’s one meal I can make and know I won’t hear complaints from the kids, it’s pizza. Everyone enjoys it and because of that we have even created a Friday pizza night tradition. Making your own pizza helps to keep the pizza nutritious, but did you know that homemade pizza tastes a lot better than delivery!? You should give it a try and find out for yourself! Of course, it is a lot more work than calling the local pizza place, but I can add heaping amounts of veggies to our pizzas and my kids don’t bat an eye. All because it’s on a pizza crust. My kids are silly like that.
To get you started on making your own pizza I’ll start with an awesome homemade sauce. This recipe makes A LOT of sauce, I think it’s enough for four large pizzas. If you know you aren’t going to need that much you can cut the recipe in half. I like to make the full recipe every time and then freeze half for another day. It freezes really well and will save you some time on another night.
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 2 (15-ounces each) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed*
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, whisk together tomato sauce and paste. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Cool.
*To crush the fennel seeds place on a cutting board and firmly roll a rolling pin over the top.
Hello! I am Camille, a wife, mother of four, Disney obsessed, certified teacher, and reality optimist. Motherhood comes with its ups and downs, and I hope while you’re here you’ll find something that makes your #momlife easier!