Chocolate and peanut butter come together to make these irresistible, no-bake Scotcharoos. They are super easy to make and always a crowd favorite.
Last year, I went on a girls trip and a good friend of mine brought these amazing little bars she called Scotcharoos. Taking my first bite was like heaven in my mouth.
Scotcharoos are like a chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treat without the marshmallows. The rice krispies make them dense and chewy. I couldn’t stop eating them and I’m sure you will feel the same!
These are now in my top five favorite desserts. Very easy to make and I can put them together in under 10 minutes.Jump to Recipe
What is in a Scotcharoo?
Like I’ve said these Scotaroos are super easy to make. They only have 6 ingredients:
- Peanut Butter comes in a lot of options. I like to use the smooth, no stir natural kind. Any kind of peanut butter will work.
- White granulated sugar will dissolve into the peanut butter when you cook it on the stovetop. Don’t worry, there is no graininess.
- Light corn syrup combines it all together and adds more sweetness.
- Rice Krispies give scotcharoos that perfect chewy texture.
- Milk chocolate Chips get melted to spread on the top.
- Butterscotch Chips are also melted and mixed in with the milk chocolate chips. You can also swirl the butterscotch on the top
Substitute Options for the Rice Krispies
I’ve had a lot of questions about substituting the rice krispies with a different cereal as a base. There are a lot of variations you can use for this scotcharoo recipe.
Some of the options I’ve seen are: Cheerios, Special K, Rice or Corn Chex and Corn Flakes.
You will still use the 10-12 cups of what ever cereal you choose in place of the rice krispies to make this recipe.
Can You Make Scotcharoos in the Microwave?
Yes you can! Here’s how you can make Scotcharoos in the microwave:
- Place the sugar, corn syrup, and peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat on high for 1 1/2 minutes, stir, then heat for another 1 1/2 minutes. Stir again.
- Measure out the Rice Krispies in a large bowl.
- Pour the melted mixture over the Rice Krispies and stir well; then immediately spread into a 9×13-inch pan.
- Place the milk chocolate and butterscotch chips in the microwave. Microwave on hight for 30 sec. Take it out, stir, then microwave again for 30 sec. Stir and repeat until it’s all melted together.
- Pour over the bars and spread evenly.
- Cool and slice.
Tips from a Scotcharoo Pro
Since I got this recipe, I’ve made it so much that I’d like to consider myself a pro!
Tip 1: After letting the chocolate/butterscotch topping cool, melt 1/2c. chocolate chips and separately melt 1/2c. butterscotch chips. Plop dollops of the melted butterscotch and chocolate on top of the original layer. Next use a small spoon to swirl the butterscotch and chocolate together to make a pretty design on top.
Tip 2: Keep in mind that these are quite messy right when they are done so it is best to let them cool before you cut them to serve!
I made these scotcharoos on our Facebook live show, so you can watch that as well if you want to see how it was done. You can see all my live cooking shows at https://www.facebook.com/MyMommyStyle/ .
Here is the Scotcharoos Recipe:
- 2 Cups Peanut Butter I like to use smooth, no stir natural peanut butter
- 2 Cups Light Corn Syrup
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 10-12 Cups Rice Krispies
- 2 Cups Milk Chocolate Chips
- 2 Cups Butterscotch Chips
- Melt corn syrup, peanut butter, and sugar together in a large pan on medium low heat. Stir constantly and allow mixture to heat up until sugar is almost all dissolved.
- Pour over Rice Krispies in a large bowl and stir to coat.
- Press mixture into a large, greased cookie sheet and allow to cool.
- Melt chocolate chips & butterscotch chips together on low heat, stir constantly. Pour over Krispies and spread evenly.