Dinner does not have to be complicated to be delicious! This Monterey Chicken Skillet dinner is simple, healthy, and so easy to do on a weeknight!Jump to Recipe
Monterey Chicken Prep Tips:
I adore meals that allow me to be in the kitchen as little as possible on summer days and this Monterey Chicken does not disappoint. This recipe is traditionally done in an oven, but I found that cooking it on the stovetop can speed things up a lot and make your kitchen a lot less hot!
This dish comes together best when chicken breast is pounded thin. I like to buy the frozen chicken breasts from Costco that are already sold thin. They thaw out so much faster and are faster to cook.
Defrosting meat is one of my other least favorite things, but I have found that filling a shallow dish with piping hot water and putting the frozen chicken breasts in is a really nice way to defrost the chicken without cooking the edges as can be done defrosting in the microwave.
Make sure to always keep your defrost water/dish separate from your prepared chicken.
Monterey Chicken Skillet
- 4-6 Chicken breasts pound thin
- 1/2 C shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1 C Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 C Bacon Bits You can prepare your own bacon bits or use pre-cut bacon bits from a bag
- 1 Avocado sliced
- 1/4 C Cilantro chopped
- 1/4 C Green Onion Diced
- Pound raw chicken with mallet to thin them out for faster cooking times. I like to put mine in a ziploc bag before doing so to avoid juices from the uncooked chicken splashing on the counter.
- Heat large skillet to Med/High heat with a coating of oil or butter. I like to use about a tablespoon of avocado oil.
- Place chicken onto heated pan and season each side of the breasts with everyday seasoning or salt.
- Allow chicken breasts to cook 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked througout with no pink in the middle of the breast.
- Add a dallop of BBQ sauce onto each chicken breast. Spread it out onto the chicken. Flip chicken breast over with tongs and add another layer of bbq sauce on the chicken.
- Reduce heat to low and sprinkle chicken breasts with cheese and bacon bits.
- Cover pan with a lid and allow cheese to melt. Make sure not to burn the chicken/bbq sauce and keep temperature low.
- Remove from heat and add additional toppings: Onion, avocado, cilantro.
- Enjoy over a bed of salad, rice, or additional sides!
Need even more dinner inspiration? Check out these other Chicken recipes right here on My Mommy Style that are similar to the Monterey Chicken.
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST!
For weekly tips to live an awesome #momlife! Recipes | Kids Activities | Parenting | Travel | Printables | Lifestyle