I am Brave and Beautiful – a beauty movement that is sweeping the globe. Colbie Caillat started it with her recent song and video called TRY. My blogging friend Megan of Brassy Apple wanted to push this movement along and invited women from all over to share what they looked like without make up and I joined in!! Colbie’s song says, “Take your make up off. Let your hair down… Look into the mirror at yourself, Do you like you? Cause I like you… “
Megan and her friend Cobi of Peacefrom6pieces have been the team behind this whole project. Their worldwide vision included creating their own video inspired by the song TRY. The talent of Robbins Creative made it possible for them to pull it off. You have to click play and see the beauty and bravery displayed and you might even recognize a few faces in there.
Me along with 101+ other blogging women from different backgrounds, religions, ethnicities, ages, shapes and sizes have decided to be Brave and Beautiful! You can join in this movement too by sharing what you look like without makeup on. You don’t need a blog either! Just tag your photo with #IamBraveAndBeautiful on Instgram and search the hashtag to see who else has joined in. ALSO, if you tag it with a second hashtag – #ColbieTRY we just might be able to get Colbie Caillat’s attention since she was the inspiration behind it all!
Are you brave and beautiful? I am, here I go!
About a year ago, I was nominated to be one of the “30 Women to Watch” for Utah Business magazine. I was flattered, and I immediately began my transformation – feeling the pressure of being on the cover of a highly publicized magazine in Utah. I felt like Katniss on The Hunger Games, going through a laundry list of things to prep my body for the event, and when I was done, I had everything but a dress that caught on fire! It was expensive and exhausting trying to be the most beautiful I could. I got my hair extensions done, my eye lash extensions done, my makeup done, a new outfit, new shoes, my eyebrows dyed and waxed, bought a new outfit and got a spray tan.
I was happy with the result, but I remember after it was all over, feeling like it was a full time job and I could never keep up with all of that. I’m not going to lie, it was fun to feel pampered – but I did start feeling like I wouldn’t be pretty enough without a whole team of people working on me.
Society tells us that we aren’t enough – ever. Because I am a mama to six daughters, this just isn’t okay with me. Women are beautiful. Girls are beautiful. My daughters are beautiful! We are powerful, giving, passionate, sensitive, and so many other things. It breaks my heart each time one of my daughters comes home from school and asks me, “Am I pretty, mom?” when a few years ago, they KNEW they were wonderful, inside and out – a pretty princess with nothing but “happily ever after…” in their future.
Honestly, the biggest problem I see is ME. I tell my girls that they are beautiful JUST THE WAY THEY ARE, and then I go ahead and complain about myself all the time and spend a fortune trying to fix things that I don’t like. I try not to do it in front of them, and mostly it’s the way I groan in the mirror or grumble under my breath. KIDS PICK UP ON THAT. I have been very conscious and purposefully not said things in front of them, but over they years, I know things have slipped. We have to find happiness with ourselves, or how can our daughters be happy with themselves?
“Whitney, your white skin is beautiful – like porcelain!” and then I go and get a spray tan, like in the picture above….
“No, of course you aren’t FAT!” and then I pinch my love handles in the mirror…
“You have such beautiful hair, you don’t need hair extensions to thicken it!” and then I get extensions….
It makes me cry to think about it! Why do we do that to ourselves? It surprises me how often girls and women are the most cruel to each other. Imagine how the world would be if we added up all of the energy we spent tearing ourselves and others down each day, and directed it toward positive thoughts and actions.
I believe women are the most powerful force on earth and if they are stopped, then communities fall apart and families crumble. Our culture tells us that we have to be beautiful to be valued, and this just isn’t true. It starts with us. How can we change the world around us?
For this reason, I loved being part of this project. We all arrived with our hair and makeup done, and took turns wiping it off. I did feel like a bit of a cheater because I had some remaining eyelash extensions in this picture. They had almost all fallen out here, but not all. Other than that, I have no makeup on. I am not used to being photographed this way – no, not at all. I felt somewhat naked…
I loved being around all of the ladies and hear their laughter and stories. Together, we are determined to make a difference.
Lindsay was the darling gal that took our photos – I kept wanting to grab the camera away from her and take pictures of her! Also, for those of you asking where I bought my outfit, I purchased the whole thing (shirt, hat, necklace and shoes) at Soel Boutique. In the picture above, I had taken the hat and necklace off, but in the video and “before” group shot, you can see them both.
Don’t stop here. Get clicking around – its a blog hop! Below are more brave and beautiful women bearing more than their natural beauty. They each have a little bit of their heart to share with you. Some get very personal. Some share stories. For some this was very hard to do yet they gathered their courage and did it anyway. We hope as you click around (and YES pin these different posts!) you will feel the importance of it, the empowering effect it has and that it encourages you in some way.
>>>>>>>Important info! Blog Hops often have glitches the first day. If the link has an ERROR, simply click on the HOME button for each site, or google the blog name next to the link, and you should see their brave and beautiful post there. Links will be updated as soon as possible.<<<<<<<<<<<<
1. BrassyApple 2. Peace from 6 Pieces 3. Is this Really My Life 4. Among the Young 5. Love Me Dani Marie 6. Sweet Charli 7. Kim Orlandini 8. XO, Ashton Tilton 9. She Calls Me Mama Leisha 10. Raising Memories – Canada 11. A Little Tipsy 12. Amy Cornwell 13. A girl and a glue gun 14. My Craftily Ever After 15. Maybe I Will 16. WhipperBerry 17. Paging SuperMom 18. All Things Thrifty 19. Ashlee Marie 20. The Project Girl
21. One Little Momma 22. Entirely Eventful Day 23. Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl 24. Tips from a Typical Mom 25. Utah Sweet Savings 26. Flats to Flip Flops 27. One Krieger Chick 28. What Meegan Makes 29. Simply Kierste 30. Live to be Inspired 31. HoneyBear Lane 32. Pretty Providence 33. Ma Nouvelle Mode – in FRANCE 34. MomEntity 35. Serger Pepper – in ITALY 36. Kiki and Company 37. Girl Loves Glam 38. Thrive
39. The Potters Place 40. Crafting in the Rain 41. Cooking With Ruthie 42. Delineate Your Dwelling 43. The Pennington Point 44. Bakerette 45. The Happy Scraps 46. Shannon Baird Photography 47. Tried and Tasty 48. Lionesses at the Gate 49. Fry Sauce and Grits 50. Lolly Jane 51. That’s What Che Said 52. Sugar Bee Crafts 53. Your HomeBased Mom 54. Happiness is Homemade 55. The Crafted Sparrow 56. R&R Workshop 57. I Should Be Mopping the Floor 58. Sassy Steals
59. Let’s Eat Grandpa 60. Being Spiffy 61. Sumo’s Sweet Stuff 62. Ginger Snap Crafts 63. Bless This Mess 64. Apronista 65. Dreaming About Someday 66. Frenchie 67. Tastefully Frugal 68. Four Marrs and One Venus 69. Your Sister Circle 70. Over the Big Moon 71. See Vanessa Craft 72. Infarrantly Creative 73. Family StoryTelling
74. Albion Gould 75. Life as Mrs. Larson 76. Tried and True 77. Play.Party.Pin. 78. Bite of Delight 79. Ink Happi 80. ObSEUSSed 81. U Create 82. My Mommy Style 83. Find it Make it Love it 84. The Contractor Chronicles 85. Novae Clothing 86. Mommy Makes Things 87. At Home with Sweet T 88. We Like to Learn As We Go 89. House for Five 90. Organize and Decorate Everything 91. Sassy Southern Gurl 92. The Creative Mom 93. Keep Moving Forward with Me
94. The Benson Street 95. Mom 4 Real 96. Sowdering About 97. illistyle 98. The Crafty Blog Stalker 99. A Fiery Red Life 100. Cupcakes & Crowbars 101. One Sweet Appetite 102. My DayLights 103. Restless Risa
104. Sypsie Designs 105. Vintage Mother 106. Like Mother Like Daughter 107. 30 Handmade Days 108. Queen B and Me 109. Apples by Ashley 110. Boutique Cafe – in CANADA 111. Just My Little Mess 112. Bombshell Bling 113. Sarah Tyau 114. Taradara Make it 115. Capturing Joy 116. Ivory Lime Photography 117. Jenkins Kid Farm 118. Free Time Frolics 119. Bella Storia 120. Dana Ohlsen Photography
Also follow our Bravery and Beauty PINTEREST board for more inspiration!
Hello! I am Camille, a wife, mother of four, Disney obsessed, certified teacher, and reality optimist. Motherhood comes with its ups and downs, and I hope while you’re here you’ll find something that makes your #momlife easier!