Deciding to create a podcast studio at home was intimidating at first because I simply didn’t know where to start. In this post I am breaking it down to the basics so that you can feel empowered to create your own recording space as well!
You may be thinking, Wait, what? You created a podcast! Yes I did! It is called Call Me CEO and it is all about sharing the stories of women who have built businesses while also managing life as a mother! You can check more out about it here.
Okay, now back to podcast equipment…
What Equipment do I Need to Start a Podcast?
This equipment list is for beginners, because that is what I am. This is simply a list that I researched and purchased and have been extremely happy with.
- Microphone: I know the Blue Yeti’s are all the rage, but when I sought advice from people who know audio a lot better than I do they suggested this very simple mic. It is much better at blocking out audio from other sources and it a perfect mic to start. I’ve been really happy with the sound quality.
- Headset: Nothing fancy here, but noise cancelling is always a bonus!
- Pop Filter: This helps muffle loud sounds from your voice with the P’s S’s T’s and B’s.
- Mic Stand: I didn’t like the one that came in my kit because I kept hitting it with you hand while I was recording. I love this NEEWAR Adjustable Microphone stand. It is very easy to set up and holds its position well for a very low price.
- Ring Light Not all ring lights are created equal! I have been so happy with the durability of this one! It has manual touch control, 3200-5600K, and can be adjusted with an app on your phone.
- Laptop You can record directly to your phone, but I have found that my laptop is the most convenient for editing, zoom interviews, and sound control.
- Sound dampening wall treatment: Felt Right is hands down the easiest and most effective way to create a studio in your home.
Sound Proof your Walls for Recording in your own Podcast Studio
It isn’t necessary to have a designated room to be your podcast studio, however you DO want a room that will absorb sound and create quality sounding audio.
In fact, I know some people who have began their recording sessions in a closet because it provides such quality audio. I knew this wouldn’t work for me because I wanted to record video at the same time. I couldn’t create a professional space but I found the BEST sound proofing solution!
Felt Right is made to be functional and beautiful to help sound proof any room in your home or office. I was delighted by the process of designing my own wall treatment. It transformed my space so quickly and made it bright and beautiful. This is exactly the vibe I was going for and I love that it helps the quality of the SOUND of my podcast more than ever! It was the most cost effective way to improve my podcast quality for every show.
Felt Right allows you to pick from over 20 colors in all shapes and sizes so that you can create anything to fit your style.
Create a Podcast Studio in Minutes with Felt Right.
I was amazed how quickly my design came together. When putting together your own design you can choose one that has already been designed by others or make it your own.
I invited a friend over and we put the entire wall covering up in about an hour! Felt Right supplies you with double sided tape that you attach to the corners of each piece. Surprisingly it is so easy to place and adjust. Once you have it in place simply press for 20-30 seconds.
If you want to see a step by step I actually shared this on instagram, I hope we are friends over there, too!
I couldn’t be happier with how my design turned out!
Felt Right can be used to help dampen the sounds in an apartment complex, office space, or recording space. Bonus points that it can also double as a pin board. I have been so inspired by the felt right website where others have used it as a headboard, play room design, a green screen, or focal point of a living room. Truly, the possibilities are endless.
Shipping is free on all orders over $49!
Why start a Podcast?
Podcasting is growing like never before! With so many working remotely and consuming their content on the go there has never been a better time to start. I hope you will join me on my podcast! You can subscribe here!