This is another post from our new contributor Lynn from 2fitathome.com. We love her and her great ideas for healthy living and fitness. Last week she shared healthy snacks for your kids’ lunch boxes and today she is sharing some awesome quick and healthy breakfasts just in time for back-to-school. Don’t forget to check out her site, she has great recipes, meal plans, workouts, and other healthy tips.
My sister and I like to play the “I’m so tired I _____” game. If you could eavesdrop on a conversation I’m sure you’d think we’re crazy (but you would also secretly relate!). And with her being pregnant she always tells me breakfast is the worst part of her day:
My Sister: “I’m so tired when my kids asked what was for breakfast I told them to see what they could reach. Not sure what they grabbed but I think one found a little debbie bun and the other a granola bar. Georgia I think opened the fridge and grabbed some cheese, which I think may have been a bit moldy.”
Usually my sister wins this game. 😉
Breakfast CAN be exhausting, especially if you’re trying to think of something healthy to prepare your kids in the morning! This tired mama has been there, so I hope you love my tips on simple and healthy breakfast ideas! There is no cereal in my house, but I won’t take more than 5 minutes in the morning to prepare something for my kids.
3 simple and healthy breakfast ideas:
1. Cottage Cheese, Berries and Whole Wheat Toast with a bit of raw honey spread on it: A great mix of protein, carbs and fat. Make sure to use wheat bread so your child gets the good complex carbs which mean sustained energy and NO SUGAR CRASH! I use hormone free cottage cheese (just a preference) and a side of berries. Prep Time: 2 minutes
2. Berry Protein Smoothie: This is a double bonus because I will make a double batch and share it with them. Sometimes I’m just craving a smoothie and it’s a great way to sneak in extra fruits (loaded with micro-nutrients) into your children’s tummy. Prep time: 5 minutes or less
Approximately 200 calories
Raspberry banana protein smoothie
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or sweetened coconut milk)
- 1/2 banana
- 15 raspberries (approximately)
- splash vanilla extract (about 1/4 teaspoon, or more if you would like)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder or 1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 2-3 handfuls ice (depending on consistency that you like)
- Put all ingredients in blender. Blend and enjoy!
3. Overnight Oats:
This breakfast option does have to sit overnight, but oats are so great for the kids and you. The mix of nutrients in oatmeal is exactly what you need in the morning to wake up and take on the day as it provides you with the healthy fats for your mental focus; the fiber to keep you full for a longer period of time; the vitamin B to give you a boost in energy and calm the stress, and vitamin K to keep your strong and on your feet. Prep time: 5 minutes or less.
Here is one of my favorite overnight oatmeal recipes that my kids LOVE.
Banana Overnight Protein Oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 banana
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (or gluten-free rolled oats)
- 1/2 cup vanilla whey protein (or 1/2 cup of greek yogurt)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tso vanilla
- 1 tsp zero calorie sweetener (I use xylitol)
- Mash up 1/2 of your banana in a bowl. Then add in all other ingredients except the other half of the banana. Mix all ingredients together thoroughly. Cut the rest of the 1/2 banana into small pieces and then mix in. Place the oats in a container (I use mason jars) to sit overnight in fridge and soak up all the liquids. Microwave before serving for 20-30 seconds or eat it cold in the morning.
Optional: Top with your favorite nuts or seeds and/or top with additional berries of your choice. Walnuts go GREAT with this.
So make breakfast healthy but EASY… because we’re all tired enough right?! 😉
You might also like:
Hello! I am Camille, a wife, mother of four, Disney obsessed, certified teacher, and reality optimist. Motherhood comes with its ups and downs, and I hope while you’re here you’ll find something that makes your #momlife easier!