This year is the perfect time to makeover your yard. Check out these fabulous yard trends for 2015 to find the perfect outdoor solutions for your property. Many of this year’s trends are environment friendly, upkeep friendly, and budget friendly.
- Install a Fire Pit: These are decorative, give light, and can be used for cooking. Choose a geometric shaped fire pit to add a little more personality.
- Install Lighting: Adding lighting to your yard can make a big difference. Consider adding solar lights to line pathways, or hang lights from trees. Coordinate with the home’s interior light fixtures for fluidity.
- Monochromatic Color Scheme for Flowers: As you plan out your flower beds for this year, consider this year’s popular trend of monochromatic flowers. This means using different hues of the same color, such as different shades of blue.
- Use Garden as Landscape: Especially if you have a smaller yard, this gives you the freedom to not choose between growing your own vegetables or having a decorative landscape. You can have both! Choose edible plants to grow for your landscape.
- Add Some Color: Sometimes all it takes to make a yard feel new is to add a little color. This can be in the form of plants, flowers, pots, or even the cushions of the chairs on the patio.
- Don’t Be Afraid of Dark Colored Plants and Flowers: Dark colored plants and flowers are totally in this season. Mix in some chocolate colored flowers for a different, more mature look.
- In Ground Water Features: If you have more room to work with, consider adding some water features to your yard. Depending on your needs and taste, you may consider a pond, wishing well, fountain, or even a lap pool.
- Comfortable Seating: More and more yards are being created as a place where someone can escape and relax. To create your own zen corner of the yard, add a hammock or a two person swing.
- Hydroponics: This is when plants are suspended in nutrient rich water rather than in soil. This not only protects the plant, but is also an environment friendly way to spruce up your yard.
- Gravel Garden: Besides being incredibly low maintenance as mentioned here, gravel gardens are also all natural, require little to no fertilizer, cost less, are sustainable long term, durable, and drought resistant.
- Take Deck to Next Level: Literally! Multilevel decks are all the rage this season, so consider adding an additional tier to your deck. You could also add a wall or curved features for a new look.
- Whimsical Statues and Ornaments: If you enjoy your yard, but it is missing that little something, it may just need a little more decoration here and there. Whimsical statues and ornaments are a great way to change up the scene without doing a total makeover.
- Add a Fairy Garden: These are simply miniature gardens, complete with structures and living plants. A fairy garden is a great option if you are short on space or are worried about killing a big garden and would like to start your green thumb with something small.
- Forget High Maintenance Grass: Instead of planting grass (or maintaining the upkeep for your current lawn) opt for green coverage with low maintenance ground covers such as thyme. These require low water costs, low upkeep, and to top it all off, they also smell great!
- Green Fences: Use plant life and trees to create fences and privacy around your yard. This can be done along the perimeter or surrounding specific locations where extra privacy would be appreciated, such as around swimming pools or hot tubs.
Whether you are looking to do a major overhaul or simply make a few changes here or there to bring your yard to life this season, there are many options for you to choose from. Not only will you find yourself current with the latest yard trends, but you will also create a yard that begs you to spend more time outside.
Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, follow our YouTube Channel, and watch our day to day happenings on Pinterest and Instagram!
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your cost will be the same, but My Mommy Style will receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!