Make the perfect instant pot chicken wings from frozen to amazing in less than 30 minutes! These are oh so tender and finger licking good!
Instant Pot Chicken WingsJump to Recipe
Your friends will think you labored for hours, but we will keep that our little secret. Another reason to have an instant pot is to make these amazing chicken wings! This recipe uses the instant pot to make those wings tender and the oven to give them that crispy outside.
Instant Pot chicken wings have the best of both worlds! Fall off the bone infused flavoring, as well as a crispy caramelized outside. You’ll be the hit of the tailgate!
Main components of Chicken Wings
- Chicken wings: 15-20 are needed for this recipe and we like to use drumettes because they tend to have more meat on the bone.
- Seasoning: Have you tried the Trader Joe’s African Smoke Seasoning? My family absolutely loves it. Any seasoning will work for this recipe so just use your favorite or try out some new ones.
- Sauce: We love both Sweet Baby Ray’s wing sauce and Hooter’s Wing Sauce. You can really use your favorite sauce for this recipe.
How to Get tender fall off the bone chicken wings
- Place water and liquid smoke in the instant pot.
- Add the frozen chicken wings and rub your favorite seasoning and 1/2 cup of your favorite wing sauce.
- Seal the lid on the instant pot and make sure it is secure.
- Steam/Cook Wings in Instant Pot for just 5 minutes on HIGH to get that the tender “fall off the bone” result. You no longer need 6-8 hrs in the crockpot for that same result.
- Let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then switch to a quick pressure release until all the steam is out and the lid can be safely opened.
- Steaming in the instant pot really infuses the meat with your desired seasoning flavor.
How to get that crispy Outer Layer for chicken wings
- Once wings are cooled enough to be handled from the instant pot, place them on a foiled cookie sheet.
- Cover the wings in your favorite sauce and don’t be afraid to mix and match the sauces to have a variety that everyone will enjoy in your family.
- Broil the wings in the Oven for just 7 minutes to create that perfect crispy outside. Flip wings and repeat this step for the other side with an additional 7 minutes.
How to Serve these chicken wings
We love to serve these wings with Sweet Baby Ray’s wing sauce and/or Hooter’s Wing Sauce on the side for dipping. My kids even love to dip theirs in Ranch dressing.
If your favorite sauce has some heat to it, serve with Ranch dressing or Blue Cheese dressing to help cool off your mouth.
Here is the Recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Wings
Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- 2 pounds of frozen chicken wings about 15-20 wings
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup Your favorite dry seasoning we love Trader Joe’s African Smoke Seasoning
- 1 cup Your favorite wing sauce we love Sweet Baby Rays and Hooters sauce
- Combine and stir water with liquid smoke into instant pot
- Add frozen chicken wings and rub your favorite seasoning along with 1/2 cup of your favorite wing sauce. This will be the flavor infused into the meat of your wings
- Set instant pot to cook on high for 5 minutes
- Follow your manufacturer instructions for pre and post heating/cooling of your instant pot
- Once cooled, place wings on foiled cookie sheet
- Baste wings with wing sauce (don’t be afraid to mix and match sauces)
- Broil wings until outer skin is caramelized – usually about 7 minutes
- Turn wings over, baste and repeat broiling for another 7 minutes.
Video of Instant Pot Chicken Wings
Here is the video of me cooking these on my Facebook live show (wings start at about the 33:00 mark). I hope you enjoy!
*Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your cost will be the same, but My Mommy Style will receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!
Here is a link to all of our instant pot recipes:
Hello! I am Camille, a wife, mother of four, Disney obsessed, certified teacher, and believer in creating your best momlife the way you see fit. Motherhood comes with its ups and downs, my hope is you’ll find something here to make your life a little better/easier. Let’s be friends on social!