This is a sweet and tangy homemade BBQ sauce that is easy to make and is so good. This makes a little more than 3 cups of sauce so you can use it for a few meals. We made ribs one night and BBQ chicken pizza the next night. Because I used this in meals for my kids I didn’t make it super spicy. Feel free to add more of the peppers if that is how you like it.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 teaspoons hickory-flavored liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, mix together all the ingredients.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer for up to 20 minutes. For thicker sauce, simmer longer, and for thinner, less time is needed. Sauce can also be thinned using a bit of water if necessary. Brush sauce onto any kind of meat during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Hello! I am Camille, a wife, mother of four, Disney obsessed, certified teacher, and reality optimist. Motherhood comes with its ups and downs, and I hope while you’re here you’ll find something that makes your #momlife easier!