The Metamucil challenge is a simple way to get more fiber in our diet, live healthier and feel better in just 2 weeks. This 14 day cleanse helps us eliminate all of the waste!
Metamucil Challenge & Super Gut Smoothie Recipe
Did you know that 42 million Americans suffer with constipation at some point in their lives? According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases , every year constipation accounts for 2.5 million visits to the doctor. Okay, I know a lot of us don’t talk about this stuff, but hey, we have most likely all experienced being backed up. We all go number 2, it’s no big secret.
I was watching a rerun of Dr. Oz and they were talking about this Metamucil Challenge. At the beginning of every year I try to set health goals and this year, I decided to try this Metamucil 2 week cleanse for myself to see what all the hype is about. I went into this with no expectations and found by the end of the Metamucil cleanse, I felt better. It really feels good to be regular.Jump to Recipe
What is Metamucil?
Metamucil is powder mix that is packed full of fiber. It works as a laxative (helps you poop).
What is the Metamucil Challenge?
Most of us do not get enough fiber in our everyday diet to stay regular. For 2 weeks you take at least one serving of Metamucil daily to increase fiber intake.
The Metamucil challenge is also known as: Metamucil cleanse, Metamucil 14 day challenge, Metamucil 2 week challenge and the Metamucil 2 week cleanse.
How does it work?
- Metamucil has Psyllium fiber that will target the intestines to collect any waste.
- Fiber likes to absorb liquid and swelling in the intestines.
- The Psyllium fiber will help you create a softer, bulky stool that is easier to pass.
- Psyllium fiber found in Metamucil traps and removes the waste that weighs you down, so you start to feel lighter* in two weeks.
Is the Metamucil 2 Week Challenge safe?
According to the Mayo Clinic, there is no evidence that daily use of fiber supplements is harmful.
Most side effects are minor bloating and gas, but that is typically during it’s initial use. If you get too much bloating or gas, scale back to give your body more time to adjust.
You may experience changes in bathroom habits. Do Not Be Alarmed! This is what it’s suppose to do! This is simply your body adjusting to your increased intake of fiber.
When is the best time of the day to take Metamucil?
- Any time of day is okay to take Metamucil as long as you have enough fluids to take with it.
- Each serving requires 8 oz of liquid.
- Mix it in the liquid of choice vigorously and drink it right away.
- Metamucil recommends you take it at mealtimes.
How much to take Daily?
One serving is one rounded teaspoon, plus 8 oz of liquid.
Initially, I started with one serving per day and was able to increase to 2-3 servings a day by the end of the Metamucil cleanse.
Two servings per day was the right amount for me during the Metamucil challenge, but I may work up to three times a day in the future.
Metamucil Pro tips for best results:
- Find a time that works for you! My best time was the morning when I was thirsty.
- Make it part of your daily rhythm and it will easily become something you do without thinking.
- Single packets and a shaker bottle make for easy drinking on the go. You should try this shaker bottle!
- Do not prep by mixing it in liquid for the next day, it will thicken and make it inedible.
- Extra fiber in your diet doesn’t have to be hard.
- If you miss a day, no biggie, get it in the next day.
- Keep Metamucil where you will see it and use it, as the saying goes, out of sight, out of mind. See it and drink it! 🙂
- You don’t have to stop this healthy habit at Day 14 – Metamucil is a great addition to your daily wellness routine!
How to make Metamucil taste good:
Metamucil has a pleasant orange flavor and tastes good with water. Over time I got creative and mixed it with:
- Baked goods
- Smoothies (My Favorite is the Super Healthy Gut Smoothie)
Here is the recipe for Super Gut Smoothie:
Super Gut Smoothie
- 1/2 Medium Lemon
- 1/2 Medium Apple Your choice, my favorite is pink lady or honey crisp
- 2 handfuls super greens: spinach, kale, chard
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 stalk Celery
- 1 large Carrot
- 1/2 C ice
- 8 0z Water this is up to you!
- 2 tbsp Metamucil
- 3 Sprigs parsley
- 1 C blueberries or blackberries
- Wash and prepare fresh produce.Cut carrot and celery into smaller chunks if you're worried about your blender being able to handle the mass. Add all ingredients into the blender.Blend. Enjoy!*It is best to drink this smoothie right when it is blended to receive the optimal health benefits from the phytonutrients, minerals, and vitamins.
Try some more of our Healthy delicious Smoothies:
Metamucil partnered with bloggers, such as me, to get the word out about its great product benefits. As part of this program, I received compensation for my time. Metamucil believes that
consumers and bloggers are free to form their own opinions and share them in their own words. Metamucil’s policies align with WOMMA Ethics Code, Federal Trade Commission
(FTC) guidelines and social media engagement recommendations.
†Diets low in saturated fat and cholesterol that include 7 grams of soluble fiber per day from psyllium husk, as in Metamucil, may reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering cholesterol. One serving of Metamucil Powder has at least 2.4 grams of this soluble fiber. Consult a doctor if you are considering use of this product as part of a cholesterol-lowering program.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
This Post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your cost will be the same, but My Mommy Style will receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!
Hello! I am Camille, a wife, mother of four, Disney obsessed, certified teacher, and believer in creating your best momlife the way you see fit. Motherhood comes with its ups and downs, my hope is you’ll find something here to make your life a little better/easier. Let’s be friends on social!