This week on our Summer Learning Series we are talking all about the body. We love to have dance parties at my house because they are a great way to get your body moving and get some exercise while having a lot of fun. They are also a great boredom buster for kids, but there have been so many times I have had to run to the computer to turn off a song that had suggestive lyrics or a lot of dirty language. If you’re looking for some upbeat songs that will get your child moving without having to worry about the lyrics I have compiled some of our favorites. Now keep in mind these songs do not reflect my own taste in music, some of these songs are down right annoying, but I had to add them because my kids LOVE them. So you can skip the ones that are annoying to you or just ignore the song and watch your kids shake, twirl and bounce to the beat.
Kernkraft 400 by Zombie Nation
The Gummy Bear Song by Gummibar
Bubble Up by Gummibar
Happy by Pharrell
What Does the Fox Say by Ylvis
Everything is Awesome by Teagan and Sara featuring the Lonely Island
One step at a time by Jordin Sparks
Soul Sister by Train
Fight Song by Rachel Platten
Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You) by Kelly Clarkson
Roar by Katy Perry
Party Rock by LMAFO
Hall of Fame by The Script
Fireflies by Owl City
When can I see you again by Owl City
Always a Good Time by Owl City and Carly Rae Jeppson
Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jeppson
The Walker by Fitz and the Tantrums
Geronimo by Sheppard
Shut Up and Dance With Me
Try Everything by Shakira
Wake Waka (This Time For Africa) by Shakira
Can’t Stop the Feeling by Justin Timberlake
Some fun ideas to get you moving even more:
1. Give your child a long ribbon or streamer to dance with. It’s fun to see what they come up with as they twirl and swish the ribbon.
2. Give your child different emotions to dance like. Tell them to dance like they are mad, happy, sad, surprised, scared, etc.
3. Play freeze dance. When the music stops they have to become a statue.
4. Free style. This is by far our favorite. Just turn on the music and rock out how ever you choose.
5. Give them a character to dance like. You can write a bunch and put them in a bowl and you have to choose at the beginning of each dance. You could dance like a zombie, Elsa, Harry Potter, Minecraft characters, etc. You choose their favorites and see what they come up with.