This is a family favorite meal that is quick to whip up. This version uses a homemade gravy instead of using cream of chicken soup. It only takes a few extra minutes for the homemade sauce and it’s worth it! I love this meal, my husband loves this meal, and my kids eat every bite without complaining. Win, win, win!
If you don’t know what a Hawaiian haystack is, let me explain. It’s chicken in a gravy/sauce that you put on top of rice and then add different toppings to. I think every family I know has different favorites for toppings. We love cheese, tomatoes, bell peppers, green onions, pineapples, chow mien noodles, almonds and coconut. You can also try olives, celery, peanuts, or mandarin oranges instead of the pineapple. I like to put all the toppings on the table and let everyone build their own however they prefer.
The chicken gravy is normally made with cream of chicken soup, but this version is a homemade sauce that is thick and creamy with no cream soup in sight.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size chunks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Sauté until the onions are soft and translucent about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chicken, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for about 5-6 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and chicken and stir to combine. Cook over medium heat for one minute. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Bring the sauce to a simmer over medium to medium-high heat, while stirring the sauce continuously with the whisk. Simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve the chicken sauce over rice with your toppings of choice. My family loves chow mien noodles, pineapple tidbits, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, green bell pepper, almond slices, green onions, and coconut.
Hello! I am Camille, a wife, mother of four, Disney obsessed, certified teacher, and reality optimist. Motherhood comes with its ups and downs, and I hope while you’re here you’ll find something that makes your #momlife easier!