Hi! I’m Melanie from PlanForAwesome.com and I am SO EXCITED to share this with all of MyMommyStyle’s readers today! I have been looking forward to the month of September for a few months now. I love that school is back in, and that everyone has fallen back into the school routine. I love that the weather is starting to cool off enough to at least consider wearing pants every once in a while. I love fall sports and watching my kids’ soccer and football games. But the biggest reason I have been looking forward to September is…
September is National Emergency Preparedness Month!
I am passionate about Emergency Preparedness. It is SO IMPORTANT no matter who you are, where you live, how much money you make, if you’re married or single, and the list could go on and on. The bummer is, it is HUGE. Those two words cover about a gazillion topics, many of which are so deep and involved, that it’s just easier to ignore those two words and therefore dodge the other gazillion.
Unfortunately, ignoring this topic doesn’t make us immune to disaster. Whether we are prepared or not, crappy things happen. For example…
- Everyone is susceptible to a lengthy power outage
- None of us can escape the possibility of a house fire in our own home
- Anyone could back their car up a little too far and hit the gas meter sticking out of the side of their home, causing a majorly dangerous gas leak (totally hypothetical, of course…eh-hem)
- Every single one of us could be the victim of a natural disaster in our area, whether that be a flood, earthquake, tornado, tsunami, wildfire, etc
While these examples vary in degree of seriousness and likelihood, the point is, we all have a reason to take the topic of Emergency Preparedness seriously.
I have found that most people are just too overwhelmed to even start. But what if you could spend just 2 hours a week for the next month on this topic? And you don’t even have to think about where to start. All you have to do is click “PRINT.”
I have created a FREE PRINTABLE series of date nights for couples to do together, to help them get prepared in various areas. I know lots of people try to have a regular date night once a week. If you are one of those people, then great! You’re all set! If you’re not, then this is a great excuse to get 4 date nights on the calendar for the month of September.
- Each date night is designed to be able to be completed in a 2-hour uninterrupted block of time.
- You will want to be AT YOUR HOUSE for these date nights.
- If you cannot find a sitter, this is totally doable with kids – it just might take a little longer. Or you could always wait until they’re in bed. My favorite option would be to arrange a date night swap with a friend who will do this challenge too. Tell them about the challenge and then offer to watch their kids one night, and then have them watch your kids another night. That way neither one of you is paying for a sitter, you get your house to yourself to really focus on this, and you motivate a friend to also take steps toward protecting and preparing their family. There’s pretty much no downside to the date night swap idea.
- These date nights are available to subscribers of MyMommyStyle.com and PlanForAwesome.com. So go to PlanForAwesome.com and subscribe to the blog, which will automatically subscribe you to MyMommyStyle.com as well. Your first free date night will be available for download as soon as you confirm your subscription.
I could give you a bunch of reasons to take this date night challenge, but I’m just going to give you my top 4.
- It’s FREE
- You don’t even have to plan anything – these printables tell you exactly what to do
- You get to spend time with your spouse, building safety and security for each other and your kids
- It’s FREE!
Here is a FREE PRINTABLE invitation for you to print out and leave on your spouse’s pillow to get started. One side is the invitation, and the other side is a thank you note for afterward. I don’t normally write my husband a thank you note after we go on a date, but I had half a page to fill up. Might as well make it something cute, right?
Now head on over to PlanForAwesome.com, subscribe to the blog, and get started on the EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS DATE NIGHT CHALLENGE!
Melanie is the blogger of PlanForAwesome.com, a blog about being prepared for any and everything. While she focuses largely on Emergency Preparedness, she also writes a lot about Organization and Kids. She is a mom of 4, stepmom of 3, and is married to the handiest guy she knows. In her spare time, she teaches piano and tutors math.
Hello! I am Camille, a wife, mother of four, Disney obsessed, certified teacher, and reality optimist. Motherhood comes with its ups and downs, and I hope while you’re here you’ll find something that makes your #momlife easier!