It’s the beginning of a new year and many of us make health related goals. I went to the grocery store last week and there wasn’t a single bag of frozen fruit or any fresh spinach. It was ALL GONE. I am not joking, this really happened. I was a little upset at first and then I smiled and was happy that a lot of people out there were enjoying a healthy green smoothie even though I couldn’t, because everyone beat me to the store to buy the ingredients.
I know the hardest thing for me when I am trying to live a healthier lifestyle is finding recipes that I enjoy and that my whole family will eat! If you’re in need of some inspiration for fresh, healthy and incredibly delicious recipes, you need to check out my new favorite cookbook: 400 Calories or Less with Our Best Bites! (Also, check out their amazing blog Our Best Bites.)
Click here to get your own copy of 400 Calories or Less with Our Best Bites.
The cookbook is great because it gives you nutritional facts on each recipe and gives you easy alternatives and add-ons for each recipe so you can make it fit your tastes.
One of my other favorite things is the rollover ingredients index in the back of the cookbook. They give you a list of recipes that use uncommon or perishable ingredients so you can easily meal plan to use those ingredients before they go to waste.
I recently made these Smoky Citrus Pork Tacos with Apple-Cabbage slaw and they were incredible and super easy. The pork is made in the slow cooker and the slaw can be made in about 15 minutes. My family loved these tacos, even my pickiest eater was pleased. They were a little freaked out about the apple, but they soon came around to the sweet crunch it added to the tacos.
Now on to the recipe! I really hope you check out their cookbook, it is worth it! Good luck with all your new year’s goals!
Citrus Pork Tacos with Apple Cabbage slaw
- 3-3 1/2 pound pork sirloin roast
- 1 medium lime divided
- 1 medium orange
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 cups thinly shredded cabbage
- 1 cup matchstick-size apple slices
- 1/2 cup diced or thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4-5 cracks freshly ground black pepper
- 12 6 inch corn tortillas, warmed
- 12 thin slices avocado optional
- Rinse pork with cool water and pat dry. Set aside.
- To pork, zest both lime and orange into a small bowl. Add minced garlic, kosher salt, black pepper, olive oil and liquid smoke. Stir to combine, set aside.
- Cut tested orange in half and squeeze juice into a slow cooker. Cut tested lime in half and squeeze half of the lime into the slow cooker (about 1 tablespoon). Reserve other half of lime for slaw. Place pork in slow cooker and turn to coat in citrus juice mix. Pour the citrus zest mixture onto meat and use clean hands to rub all over, coating all sides of meat. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- About 15-20 minutes before pork is finished booking, combine all slaw ingredients, including reserved lime juice, in large bowl and toss to coat. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Shred pork with two forks and toss with juices in slow cooker. Add additional salt to taste, if needed. Serve pork on tortillas with slaw and avocado, if desired.
Click on the photo below to find the Crock Pot I own and love:
Check out these other family favorite recipes by clicking on the photos below:
Hello! I am Camille, a wife, mother of four, Disney obsessed, certified teacher, and reality optimist. Motherhood comes with its ups and downs, and I hope while you’re here you’ll find something that makes your #momlife easier!