We had a few days of rain last week and this comforting soup hit the spot. This soup is easy to make and it only takes 30 minutes from start to finish. Best of all it tastes great and it’s healthy. My kids loved the meatballs and gladly ate everything in their bowls with no complaints. This is a new family favorite! Enjoy!
30-minute Healthy Meatball Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 8 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic
- 1 cup whole grain ditalini pasta
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb 97% lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup italian breadcrumbs whole wheat, if you can find them
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- In a large stock pot heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Chop carrots, celery and onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add broth, water, tomato paste and roasted tomatoes. Stir to combine. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, combine all the meatball ingredients in a large bowl. Lightly shape into 1 inch meatballs, using your hands to roll them. Drop the meatballs into the soup broth, evenly distributing them around the pot. Cover and allow to boil for 5 minutes. Stir meatballs gently.
- Add pasta. Cook 9 minutes or until paste is done.
- Add basil and parsley and stir.
I wasn’t able to find whole grain ditalini pasta at my grocery store, but I did find it on Amazon for next time.
I also found whole wheat bread crumbs on Amazon.
Hello! I am Camille, a wife, mother of four, Disney obsessed, certified teacher, and reality optimist. Motherhood comes with its ups and downs, and I hope while you’re here you’ll find something that makes your #momlife easier!