This vegan chili is full of vegetables and flavor and SO good. I am the type of person that likes chili and soup all year long, but this is perfect on a chili evening (no pun intended). This is also super easy to throw together, it only takes about 30-40 minutes, start to finish! It all depends on how fast you are at chopping vegetables. 🙂
I like to have everything chopped and prepped and ready to go before I begin because the cooking process goes pretty fast.
I use three types of beans in this chili because I like the variation in color, but you can use what you have on hand, but I think 3 cans of beans is perfect. You could do two cans of kidney beans and one can of pinto, or mix it up however you would like.
I love this enameled cast iron dutch oven (it’s the same on in these pictures) and use it ALL the time. In fact, I love it so much that I bought another one in a different color! I don’t think I’ll need two because they last forever, but I couldn’t say no.
Vegetable filled vegan chili
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1-2 jalapeño seeded and diced
- 29 ounce can diced tomatoes with the juice
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 15 ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- In a large stock pot, sauté onion and garlic over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, bell pepper and jalapeño, sprinkle with some salt and sauté an addition 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable broth and seasonings. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, or until thickened.
- Taste and add additional salt or pepper, if desired. Because of the different sodium content in broths and beans and personal preference, you may need a little more and you may not.
- Top with green onions, cilantro, avocado or hot sauce
You might also like: