This recipe has been our Halloween dinner tradition for the past 4 years or so, but would be a fun dinner any time during Autumn. It is a hearty, delicious stroganoff baked inside of a pumpkin. It makes a fun festive meal and my kids think it’s pretty cool that their dinner comes out of a pumpkin. This does take a little time to bake, so make sure to plan ahead. This can also be made in a crock pot! (3 hours on low.)
Dinner in a pumpkin: Creamy Sausage Stroganoff with broccoli and carrots
(Original recipe found here)
1 medium sized pumpkin
1 pound ground turkey
1 pound mild sausage
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 head broccoli, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
dash pumpkin pie spice
6 cups cooked hot rice
1. Remove top racks from the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
2. Wash and dry your pumpkin. Cut the top off the pumpkin and remove all the seeds and stringy pulp inside. Season inside pumpkin with a little salt, pepper, and pumpkin pie spice.
3. Heat olive oil in a large saute pan and bring a big pot of water to a boil. Add ground turkey, sausage, onions, and garlic into saute pan and cook until browned.
4. Add broccoli and carrots into boiling water and cook for 5 minutes to soften. Drain vegetables.
5. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the softened cream cheese, milk, cheese, Parmesan, salt, and pepper. Stir in meat and onions and veggies.
6. Carefully pour into prepared pumpkin and replace pumpkin top. Place pumpkin on a heavy duty cookie sheet or in a casserole dish.
7. Carefully place in oven and cook for 2 hours at 350 degrees.
8. To serve, scrape sides and bottom of pumpkin to get bits of pumpkin with stroganoff. Serve over hot rice.