I know it’s not really soup weather anymore, but here is one to save for later. This is our absolute favorite soup around here. It is fast and easy and SO delicious.
Delicious Ham and Potato Soup
- 3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 3/4 cup diced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 small onion; diced
- 1 1/2 cup diced cooked ham
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 5 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk*
- Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.
*I normally use skim milk for this soup because that’s what we usually have around and I like to make it a little lighter. I think it still tastes wonderful with skim, but it definitely looks better with whole milk. So if you’re making it for a pot luck or what not and want it to look pleasing as well as taste good use whole milk.
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST!
For weekly tips to live an awesome #momlife! Recipes | Kids Activities | Parenting | Travel | Printables | Lifestyle