I lucked out with kids who will eat most things put in front of them. I’ve never really had a struggle with getting them to eat their veggies, but I still like to sneak veggies in where I can to make meals more nutritious, so I decided to throw in some Kale. I like that it also adds a little more color to the stew.
Crock Pot Beef and Kale Stew
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bunch Kale, coarsely chopped
- Layer the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery in a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Place flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large resealable plastic bag. Add stew meat, seal and toss to coat evenly. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil. Place over vegetables.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, broth, wine, mustard, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and thyme. Pour over beef. Cover and cook on high for
- 1-1/2 hours. Reduce heat to low; cook 7-8 hours longer or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Add chopped Kale to the Crock Pot and cook for 20 additional minutes. Yields: 8 servings
This recipe is part of our “31 days of slow cooker recipes” series. If you want to know what you’ve missed check out the recipes below.
Keep checking back daily for updates! (They’re still coming!)
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but My Mommy Style will receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!
Hello! I am Camille, a wife, mother of four, Disney obsessed, certified teacher, and reality optimist. Motherhood comes with its ups and downs, and I hope while you’re here you’ll find something that makes your #momlife easier!