This cacciatore-style chicken tastes amazing and is so easy to throw together. Chop and slice a few veggies, throw them in the crock pot with the chicken and go about your day as they cook. Your house will smell amazzzzing and your taste buds will not be disappointed. We loved this dinner so much it will be added into our regular rotation for sure. I hope you love it too!
Slow Cooker Cacciatore Chicken
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 12 chicken drumsticks skinned (about 3 1/2-4 lbs)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons quick cooking tapioca
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- Hot cooked whole grain spaghetti
- shredded fresh basil optional
- In a large slow cooker combine mushrooms, celery, carrots, onions, pepper, and garlic. Place chicken drumsticks on vegetables. In a small bowl combine broth, wine, tapioca, bay leaves, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high 3-3 1/2 hours.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Cover and keep warm. Discard bay leaves. If using low heat setting, turn cooker to high heat. Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes more.
- Spoon vegetable mixture over chicken. Serve with hot cooked pasta. Top with shredded basil, if desired.
Kitchen items used in this recipe (click on the photos to check them out):
Kitchen staples used in this recipe (click on the photos to check them out):
Click on the pictures below to check out some of our other favorite slow cooker recipes:
Hello! I am Camille, a wife, mother of four, Disney obsessed, certified teacher, and reality optimist. Motherhood comes with its ups and downs, and I hope while you’re here you’ll find something that makes your #momlife easier!