I have to admit, I am not typically a soup person…I mean, I’ll eat it, but it’s not my favorite. (Okay, unless it’s a creamy basil tomato soup with the perfect grilled cheese. Mmmm.) However, I genuinely LOVE this soup! It makes a ton, so I will freeze half, and then eat on the other half for about a week! And, though I make No guarantees, but I am telling you, I have lost a pound EVERY day that I have eaten this soup (in conjunction with a healthy diet of course). Honest! Give it a try and tell me what you think!
Serving Size: 1.5 cups
(this is before adding shredded cheese…but don’t stress, I always add the cheese on top, and I ALWAYS lose weight!)
Prep Time: 30-45min
Total Time: 1 3/4 hours
Makes: Approx. 24 cups
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cups chopped onions (2 medium)
- 2 cups chopped celery (4 medium stalks)
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper (1 large)
- 1 cup chopped red, yellow or orange bell pepper (1 large)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 3 cups chopped yellow summer squash (about 3 medium sized ones)
- 2 cups chopped carrots (4 medium) -I buy them pre-chopped to save time
- 2 cups green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces, or frozen, thawed (fresh is definitely better, but frozen is easier)
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 5-6 chopped tomotos (medium) or 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans
- 2 lbs cooked ground turkey
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach or one 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Shredded Cheese
- Heat your oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven (8-quart or larger) over medium heat. Add onions, celery, peppers and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 13 to 15 minutes. Add cabbage, squash, carrots and green beans; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 10 minutes more.
- Add broth, water, tomato sauce, tomatoes, beans and bay leaves; cover and bring to a boil. Add cooked ground turkey (I usually put hamburger seasoning on mine). Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in spinach and simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Discard the bay leaves (if you can find them!?!). Stir in basil. Top each portion with a handful of cheese and ENJOY!
Please let me know what you think. I really am such a huge fan of this soup and hope you enjoy! It takes a little bit of time to make, but then I don’t have to cook for another 5 meals or MORE!
Happy Healthy Eating MMS Friends! And if you didn’t get a chance, be sure you check out my DELICIOUS and gorgeous Skinny Dip! Click on the photo below to get the recipe.
Hello! I am Camille, a wife, mother of four, Disney obsessed, certified teacher, and reality optimist. Motherhood comes with its ups and downs, and I hope while you’re here you’ll find something that makes your #momlife easier!