I love Cutie clementines so much and I love when they’re in season! Sometimes I go a little overboard with my love though and buy too many. Too many clementines, you say, is there such a thing!!? I would normally say no way! Those juicy, easy-to-peel healthy snacks are almost better than gold. (Almost.) There have been many times though where we have not been able to get through our clementines in time and they have gone bad and I have had to throw them away. I hate throwing away food! I always had the thought to freeze them, but I had heard somewhere that you can’t freeze citrus. Then one day I was cruising around my local grocery store and spotted frozen clementines by all the fruit for smoothies. Of course! You wouldn’t freeze clementines to eat them because when thawed out they will be mushy, but freezing them for smoothies makes sense and it works!
How to freeze clementines
- Peel all the clementines you wish to freeze.
- Section them.
- Cover a cookie sheet with wax paper and spread out clementine sections in one layer.
- Place cookie sheet in a freezer and freeze for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove cookie sheet from freezer and add frozen clementine sections to a ziplock bag and seal.
- Place bag of frozen clementines back in the freezer.
Freezing the clementines on a cookie sheet first will ensure that they don’t stick together in a big clump in the ziplock. It makes it easy to pull the bag out of the freezer and grab a handful of clementine sections quickly for a smoothie.
Items needed to freeze clementines:
Click on the photos for more smoothie posts: