This is a lighter version of your typical macaroni and cheese, but still creamy and delicious. By adding a lean protein, whole grain noodles, and some veggies you will load the dish with more nutrients and make it more filling. As a bonus this is made in a skillet on the stove top, so this dinner is ready in 30 minutes and you will have less dishes to clean up.
My family loved this meal, my husband told me he would order this meal from a restaurant and pay fifteen dollars for it. Apparently, deciding how much you would pay for a meal at a restaurant is how we rate meals around here. 🙂
One more thing, semisoft cheese can be found by the deli next to specialty cheeses. We found ours at Target and the brand is Boursin. It looks like this.
Hope you enjoy this recipe!
Chicken Macaroni and Cheese skillet
- 1 1/2 cups dried whole grain elbow macaroni
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 12 ounces skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 6.5 ounce package light semisoft cheese with garlic and herb
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- In a medium saucepan cook macaroni according to package directions, except do not add salt to the water; drain.
- Meanwhile, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and onion hot skillet. Cook for 5-6 minutes until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add semisoft cheese, stir until melted.
- In a medium bowl whisk together ilk and flour. Add to chicken mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low. Add cheddar cheese, stir until melted. Add cooked macaroni, cook and stir until heated through (about 1-2 minutes). Stir in spinach. Top with cherry tomatoes.