I love having an easy go-to chicken breast recipe! This one only calls for 5 ingredients and you probably have them all on hand. It’s also a super fast recipe and one that my whole family will eat. I don’t have to worry about complaints when I dish up this chicken.
You need to take special care with baked boneless skinless chicken breasts though because they are lower in fat which means they dry out FAST in the oven. Here are a few things I do to ensure that I have delicious, juicy chicken and not a bone-dry slab of meat (that doesn’t sound appetizing at all).
- Pound your chicken. I wrap my chicken in plastic and then use this meat mallet to pound them until they are all about an inch thick. Having them all the same thickness ensures even cooking and they don’t need to be cooked as long either.
- Add fat. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are a lean and healthy protein option because they are lower in fat, to help them not dry out so fast in the oven though you will need to add a little fat to them. I prefer EVOO, but butter would work too. I just use a basting brush to add the olive oil. This also helps keep the seasoning on the chicken.
- High heat. I’ve tried different variations on the oven temperature and time and I prefer a hot oven and lower cooking time. It always results in perfectly cooked chicken.
- Rest the chicken. Cover your roasted chicken in some foil and let it rest for 5 minutes before cutting into it. This rule actually applies for all meat! It allows all the yummy juices to soak back into the chicken.
This recipe really is super easy. Just remember to watch your cooking time so you don’t overcook and dry out the chicken!
Baked chicken breasts
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I actually used 3 because one of them was massive)
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Pound your chicken to even thickness, mine were about an inch thick.
- Place the chicken breasts in a 9x13 baking dish. Brush both sides of chicken evenly with olive oil.
- In a small small bowl, add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika and gently stir until combined.
- Sprinkle seasoning evenly on both sides of chicken.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. (Internal temperature between 160-170 degrees F.) My chicken took about 18 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and cover the pan with aluminum foil. Let the chicken rest for at least 5 minutes. .