Nobody will miss the meat in this awesome vegetarian taco salad. It’s zesty, colorful, and so delicious!
Vegetarian Taco Salad
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 15.25 oz can corn or 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1 15- ounce can black kidney or pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 2 cups coarsely crumbled tortilla chips
- 2 avocados chopped
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cook and stir until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Coarsely chop 1 tomato. Add it to the pan along with corn, rice, beans, chili powder, cumin, 1 teaspoon oregano and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomato cooks down, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Coarsely chop the remaining 2 tomatoes. Combine with cilantro, salsa and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oregano in a medium bowl.
- Toss lettuce in a large bowl with the bean mixture, the fresh salsa and 2/3 cup cheese. Serve sprinkled with tortilla chips, avocado, and the remaining cheese.